Wednesday 28 September 2011

Quick and Easy Mug Rugs

Recently I was using some Hometown fabric by Sweetwater.  When I'm down to the last little bit, I cut an 1 1/2" strip to put in my scrap box.  I decided that rather than add my Hometown strips to an overflowing box, I should just make them into something.  Everyone is making Mug Rugs, so I thought I should give it a try.


I had decided I wanted my rugs to be 6" x 9" so I sewed my scrap 1 1/2" pieces into  sets of six.  I had enough scraps to make five strata.


I alternated the pressing so the first set has all seam allowances going up, the next set going down, etc.


I managed to cut six 1 1/2" pieces from each set of strips.  I pieced the first four together.



I used the fifth set as the middle strip, and used the previously pieced sets for either side.  I quilted with a simple orange peel (yes on my regular sewing machine.)  I wanted the rugs to lay flat so I put a single fold small binding on the edge.



For the back I used some of the canvas that is part of the line.  It gives body to the rug, as well as extra absorbency.

Doug has already laid claim to one of the rugs.  Not sure yet what I will do with the other two but I am glad that I found a use for these sweet scraps.




1 comment: