Friday, 13 April 2012

Blueberry Crumb Cake

Mmmmmm, good!  I love the fabric line by Blackbird Design called Blueberry Crumb Cake.  I bought a layer cake and a little fabric for the borders, and this is the result.


Recently I quilted a quilt for Barb using this pattern.  I loved the simplicity of the pattern and just had to try it.


Start with a 10 inch square from the layer cake pack.  Cut it into two 2 1/2" strips, and then cut the remainder into one 5" square and two 2 1/2" x 5" pieces.  Repeat for the remaining 41 fabrics in the pack.


Now pick one 5" square and a contrasting set of 2 1/2" pieces.  Sew the 2 1/2" x 5" pieces to opposite sides of the square, then add the 2 1/2" x 10" pieces.


Square the block up to about 9".  Lay all the blocks out in a 6 x 7 set.  Rotate every second block so that you don't have any seams within the blocks that have to be matched.  Sew together and then add borders as desired.  I added a 1 1/2" inner border and a 6" outer border.


I quilted with a rose in the block and then leaves over the rest.


And of course I can't forget this weeks hexagon.  Have a great weekend everyone!

9 comments:

  1. The binding is done too! It's a lovely quilt

    ReplyDelete
  2. So amazing. The lady at the quilt store has a bunch of layer cakes that have been around. Is it ok if i show her this pattern? It is amazing. Love the hexie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's stunning, think I need to get myself a layer cake!!!
    I so admire your talents....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is one of my favorites and I am happy to select you for a Leibster Award.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That quilt looks lovely, great work on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilt is georgeous. I picked up the same pattern from WalMart of all places last week. Have been busy myself, finished 2 more quilts for Katlin and Mathieu. Just trying to decide where to get them quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a layer cake, and wondered what to do with it...now I know! Thanks Linda, great idea.

    Val Bowie

    ReplyDelete