Sunday 8 September 2013

Stash Busters Quilt Along Week 2

Thanks to all of you for the incredible response to block 1 of our quilt along.  All kinds of wonderful blocks on our flickr page!

This weeks block is called Circle of Squares.  I first saw this block on pinterest.  I traced it to this tutorial.  I changed up the piecing a little, and here is my version.


The blocks I have seen around the web were all done scrappy.  I wanted to make this as easy as possible, so I stayed with one feature fabric.


Cut two 2 1/2" x 10 1/2" strips of feature fabric.  Piece a 2 1/2" x 10 1/2" piece of background fabric onto one of the strips.  Piece a 1 1/2" x 10 1/2" piece of background fabric to either side of the other piece.  Press towards the feature fabric.


Cut both strips into 2 1/2" segments.


Sew a 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" background piece to each of the segments with the 2 1/2" background piece.  Sew a 1 1/2" x 4 1/2" background piece to each side of the segments with the 1 1/2" background pieces.  You should now have four of each of the blocks shown.


Cut a 4 1/2" square of background fabric and lay out your block as shown.  Sew together.


Different fabrics give a very different look to each block. I am definitely going to have to try a scrappier version of this block.

I hope you enjoy this weeks block.  I will continue to scour the web looking for interesting blocks for us to make.  Some will be traditional, some will be not so traditional.  I hope they will all be fun!  I have been asked how many blocks I will be posting.  I plan on at least 20, perhaps more.  You can make them all, or just pick a few of your favourites.  There is no pressure to make them all, however the more you make, the better chance you have of winning each monthly prize.

Happy sewing everyone!

16 comments:

  1. Good morning! I think I need to make this one. Very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm heading to the sewing room this morning!!! Love the block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Yay! This Sunday morning sewing is such a treat! Love it. Thanks, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goody!! My sunday project!!! Looks like fun; will try scrappy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one looks like fun! I havent seen this design before. Am excited to try! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this block! It turned out lovely and is already posted to the flicker page. Now to see if I can catch up after missing the next 2 weeks.
    Katja

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Linda, great block , may not get to it today but will try .

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one is very different for me. It's a cool block.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made the block Linda and will email you the picture tomorrow .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Georgeous.Sure I`ll try it.Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great block, thank you for the tutorial. May have to join your group as it looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great block and great tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh!!! I was so EXCITED to see this block show up in one of my online sewing bees! Thank you so much for sharing it and for taking the time to credit me! Big hug to all of you!
    -toefeather

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Also you can tell I am not so great at computers by the two deleted comments... yikes, but your instructions are fabulous! Great improvement!

    ReplyDelete